2.09.2009

Retro Recipe of the Week: Whoopie Pies from Maine


What better recipe for Valentine's Day than Whoopie Pies? I live in the southeastern US, and had never even heard of a Whoopie Pie until last year. How had I lived my life up to that point without them? This very sweet treat is traditional to the Pennsylvania Dutch Country as well as New England (though each region staunchly suggests that that its' version is the true recipe and the other's is rubbish). It is a Whoopie Pie rivalry if you will. I am so envious that in these regions you can find individual wax-paper wrapped Whoopie Pies for sale at the counter of many restaurants, markets, and farmer's markets. This traditional chocolate Whoopie Pie with marshmallow cream filling recipe comes from a pal of mine in Maine, who has been baking these for years. If anyone in Pennsylvania Dutch country would like to send me your recipe, I'll be happy to post it as well.

If you'd rather purchase your Whoopie Pies from a baker, check out Etsy's selection of flavors, such as the mint-cream version pictured below by kitchenwitchcookie. The first Whoopie Pie I ever tasted came from BrokenRoadFarm, and it was heavenly! I'm not sure if she's still listing her WP's, but if you tell her that I sent you maybe she'll bake up a special batch. Be sure to check out her other goodies, they're not only tasty but beautiful!

Whoopie Pies

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup cocoa
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk

Filling
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 cups Marshmallow Fluff (aka marshmallow crème)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets. (I use parchment paper instead)

In a large bowl, cream together shortening, sugar, and egg. In another bowl, combine cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a small bowl, stir the vanilla extract into the milk. Add the dry ingredients to the shortening mixture, alternating with the milk mixture; beating until smooth.
Drop batter by the 1/4 cup (to make 18 cakes) onto prepared baking sheets. With the back of a spoon spread batter into 4-inch circles, leaving approximately 2 inches between each cake. Bake 15 minutes or until they are firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.

Make the Filling. In a medium bow, beat together shortening, sugar, and Marshmallow fluff; stir in vanilla extract until well blended.

When the cakes are completely cool, spread the flat side (bottom) of one chocolate cake with a generous amount of filling. Top with another cake, pressing down gently to distribute the filling evenly. Repeat with all cookies to make 9 pies. Wrap whoopie pies individually in plastic wrap, or place them in a single layer on a platter (do not stack them, they will stick!!).

To freeze, wrap each whoopie pie in plastic wrap. Loosely pack them in a plastic freezer container and cover. To serve, defrost the wrapped whoopie pies in the refrigerator. Makes 9 large whoopie pies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look yummy! They remind me of Maori Kisses, which are also little chocolate biscuit sandwiches (although if you'll google the recipe, you'll see it's quite different).

Hmmm, same form, different origins. I wonder if making little chocolate biscuit sandwiches is an essential part of the human experience, rather than being limited to Pennsylvania Dutch Country, Maine, or NZ? Hmmm, maybe not.

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Rachel, I forgot to mention that the cookie (or biscuit) part of the sandwich is quite cake-like. I will have to look into these Maori Kisses. The closest thing we have in my town are commercially made "Moon Pies", which are actually a bit of a classic American "packaged" food. They taste quite like cardboard in my opinion though. Oh dear, am I going to be labeled as a bad southerner for that?

Biba said...

Mmm they look gorgeous! You've been tagged :)

Pink Sugar Bowl said...

If you are ever close to Spring Hill, TN please contact me! My business is Pink Sugar Bowl and after years of making Whoopie Pies for fundraisers and friends I have finally started my own business. They are available for delivery here in Mid TN, can be shipped and will be available at several Farmer's Markets starting in May. To learn more about us please visit my very simple blog http://pinksugarbowl.blogspot.com

Whoopie Pies from Pink Sugar Bowl are unique in that our recipe is like none you can find online or in a cookbook! I tweaked my great grandmother's and made it my own. There are many great pies out there, ours are just different.