7.15.2009

Island...I see you in all of my dreams (Ode to the Land Shark)

As promised, a previously scheduled post while I'm on vacation!
Do I feel like a total dork for quoting a Jimmy Buffet song in my post title? Undoubtedly, yes. But I grew up listening to that magnificent cheese because my Dad is from southern California and built & sailed small racing sailboats for many decades. From what I recall, sailors favored Coors (west coast) & Budweiser (east of the Mississippi River), and usually in a can. Mind you, imported beer was still scarce in the 70's and early 80's. At regatta parties, my dad's friends thought it was cute to give me and my sister sips of beer and raw oysters. Dad put a stop to that when we were about 8, as I think we were having too many "sips".
Now we have Jimmy Buffet to thank for Landshark Lager, Florida brewed, official beer of The Cottage Cheese wedding. (Though The Boy asks me to mention that Fat Tire Ale and Magic Hat No. 9 will be served as well). Landshark: like Corona, but good!
Jimmy Buffet used to frequent Cedar Key in the early 80's, and even mentioned the island in one of his songs. His hang out was the King Neptune Lounge in the 150 year old Island Hotel. The lounge is a character in itself, but I'll save that for a later post. It is rumored that Buffet considered opening his first Margaritaville Cafe in Cedar Key, though I'm so glad he didn't.

A few more fun land sharks:




Photo credits: floridastate.rivals.com, uulyrics.com, flickr user n1zyy, virb.com, fresnobehive.com, homosasssa-redfishing.com, break.com, kondorink.com

10 comments:

lolly-jolly said...

what a cool sharks :D
And the beer- oh how i love beer

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Incredibly funny post. The last photo is priceless. I'm a West Coast Coors lover. Whoo hoo!

Piper Jacquelyn said...

Oh dear lord those pics are AWESOME. They made my day. I love the one in the water by the car. AHAHAHA. Landshark Lager is great - what a fun choice for a wedding!

Melissa Blake said...

Great photos! Have you ever been to Gulf Shores, Alabama? They have a gift shop there where the entrance is you walking into a shark's mouth. It used to scare me so much when I was a child! :)

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Fun post...but sharks is one of my biggest fear! The theme song from JAWS is still in my head... Enjoy your vacay dear!

Hello Lindello said...

hehe these photos are awesome. LOVE fat tire btw....

Elizabeth Marie said...

Oh man...so funny!!

"The official beer of the Cottage Cheese Wedding"

LOL

Little Gray Pixel said...

Landshark is a great beer! I spent a lovely evening drinking several while staring at the ocean during my staycation last week.

Kelley at My Island Wedding said...

wow. these shots are so great! you just made my day!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Oh Jimmy, I love thee and thee's beer.