9.27.2010

A weekend of good simple eating

As usual the weekend flew by far too fast. Mr. Cheese and I took a much-needed day off on Saturday and drove up to Crossville, TN for the Homestead Apple Festival. We brought home some regionally made and/or grown goodies that I'm super-excited about (yes, I get that excited about food): Mutsu apples, hot sauce, 4-year cheddar from a local cheesemaker, and blackberry jam and pickles from the Mennonite community in Sparta.
We also bought some Norwegian Ski Queen Gjetost cheese at the cheese shop. I sampled a tiny cube of it at the cheese shop and was intrigued, but it was the cool packaging that convinced me I had to have it. Ohhhh myyy....If you're a cheese lover, you must try this unusual cheese. The creamy texture and caramel color and flavoring are unlike anything I've ever tasted. We tried it sliced super-thin on a crusty wheat baguette and it was heavenly. I could eat this every day. Mmmmm...breakfast cheese...
How was your weekend?

8 comments:

Cassaundra said...

mmm cheese!!

Lily Riani said...

i invited my friends for hari raya (its like xmas but for muslim), this saturday will be hari raya open house for relatives... expecting 50-60 pax coming, its gonna be tiring

Janne said...

It's quite unusual for non-Norwegians to like that goat cheese :-) I used to eat it when I was as a kid (probably because a boy I had a crush on in kindergarten always had it on his sandwiches, so I did too). A lot of people like to have it on buttered waffles.

Never seen this brand or packaging before. Looks cool.

drollgirl said...

i love it when you say MR. CHEESE. for some reason i am picturing beverly cleary's "the motorcycle mouse". i think that is what it is called? cute kid book.

and i have to try that cheese!!!!

Beth said...

Yum, you've made me hungry! Need to get out to a local orchard and pick up some fall goodness in the form of donuts, apples, ciders, etc. Cheese would be a perfect accompaniment!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun outing. I think I need to buy that cheese just for the name!

Tina said...

Fresh and tasty...you got me! :)

Hello Lindello said...

I used to eat loads of that cheese in college. so good!