5.13.2010

Geraniums

I used to loathe geraniums. I suppose I was burned out on them because my mom had those garish practically fluorescent orangey-salmony-reddish ones in the 70's and early 80's, so in my memory they were dated (kind of like shag carpet). Boy, have I changed my mind! A couple of months ago I woke up and decided that I love geraniums. I do think in part it's nostalgia. Unfortunately, I can't find the color I grew up with in my area, or even pictures of that variety online, so I settled for the "pinto red" variety. My little plants are just now coming into bloom, so I'll have to show pics of them later, but I couldn't wait to do a geranium post 'cause I'm impatient like that.

at Hare's Nursery in Arlington, TX (my photo)
I really want some potted ones for my back deck, but big dog Dodge will probably eat them. Funny thing - I mentioned to my Mom my newfound love of the geraniums that I used to think were so hideous, and she laughed so hard because now those "ugly" geraniums are the only plant that my Dad simply won't allow in their yard. I suppose I'm not the only one who remembers them as 70's flowers. More info about geraniums here.

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

I've never really liked geraniums either because of that dark orangy color. But the other ones, the purples, whites and pinks - gorgeous!

Hello Lindello said...

I can't wait to start planting. These are so pretty. I think the only flowers I'm not too fond of are carnations.

drollgirl said...

are we related?!?!? i used to HATE geraniums!!! i could not stand them! and then something changed. i moved into a pink place with planters all ready to go on the south side, and i filled them with geraniums. this was 5 years ago, and they are still going pretty strong. they are so chipper and vibrant, and they can take a beating from the sun!

p.s. glad you don't have awful clients. the clients i had to deal with at that architecture firm were unbelievable. but i think my bosses were much worse! the more money the client (OR BOSS) has and is spending, the more difficult they are! yeesh!

and i miss BG, too. such a rad show. but i like caprica -- it just needs to be on more often!

Pretty Neat Designs said...

My mom had those too! And I too hated them for a long time. A couple of years ago I came around and I usually have one or two pots of them on the deck for the summer. I don't have a dog, but my fluffy long-hair cat likes to munch, so I spend my time on the deck shooing her away from the plants. Thanks for visiting my blog today. I am looking forward to reading yours.

Cameron Adams said...

Their dusky scent takes me right back to childhood. A bit late this year, a basket of red ones is about to bloom on our porch.

jamie@midcenturymania said...

Me too! I hated the smell and I wasn't particularly fond of the way they look. I have a new found love for them as well. Maybe because I really want to go to Italy and it seems you see pictures of them in window boxes in every little village.

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I love geraniums! Big bright red ones and my front porch is covered in them. I would love to have some flower boxes to add them to. My house faces the West and they seem to do really well where I have them. And I think they don't like to be over-watered.

Pretty Little World said...

Every summer, my mom would purchase pots of geraniums - sitting pots on the porch, hanging pots above the porch, pots on the back deck... maybe there was something in the water, lol!

Toni said...

Oh gosh, I love these geranium shots! I can never find any nice ones here in Oklahoma so I just don't buy them, but they are an all time favorite since childhood. Hey I never thought about adding the airstream shots to my etsy shop, will do that now!! Thanks!!