3.18.2009

Mr. Parker Likes His Falstaff

I just picked up this photo "Mr. Parker's Beer" from one of my new favorite Etsy shops, Bullbone.

"Mr. Parker was a family man. Married with kids grown and out of the house he had two loves in his life now. The first and without a doubt most important was his wife Lily. Everyone called her Lil. The second was Falstaff Beer. John did not have any hobbies. I guess you could call his beer drinking his hobby." (character study by Bullbone)

Bullbone pairs interesting vintage photographs with amusing titles and creates a story behind the subject(s) in each photo. Most items in Bullbone's shop are only $5 with free shipping - this includes the original photo and a high resolution scan. This one grabbed me, and I knew fate had led me to this shop when I randomly happened upon this particular photograph - my first discovery of this Etsy shop. According to notes on the back of the photo, it was taken of John Parker in 1973 in the the small town in Louisiana where my Mom grew up. I'm going to do a little digging and see if I can find out a little more about Mr. Parker. Maybe he and my gradfather were poker buddies or he was the janitor at the high school. For now, all I know is that Mr. Parker liked his beer.

6 comments:

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

I have often wondered what the reason and thoughts were behind some of the old pics. What a great idea to post the story with each one.

Alicia
boylerpf

Cassaundra said...

that's so cool.
i love old photos.

Kierstin Bridger said...

Great etsy find!

drollgirl said...

old pics are fascinating and they really make you wonder about stuff. very cool.

Awesome Sara said...

OMG, i googled happy bday pics and his pic came up with a cake and I have it on a future happy bday post!!! how weird

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Sara, you found a pic of the exact same guy? Wow - can't wait to see it, that is freaky!