3.18.2009

Wedding Cakes!


I bought my first wedding magazine this weekend, and it is unbelievably gorgeous! More perfection from Martha Stewart. To be honest, I felt a little silly buying it, as my wedding will be teeny-tiny, with only immediate family attending. Even though my wedding is small, everyone keeps reminding my fiance and I that we "only have 4 more months to plan it". I keep reiterating that we're casual kind of people, and that amongst the reasons to have a small wedding is the lack of stress in planning a larger affair. However, it is time that we pull out the little planner notebook I bought and get down to business. In a couple of weeks, we're headed for Cedar Key to pick a tiny old church, a minister, and a place for our reception dinner. And I suppose it's time to register somewhere, but where? Suggestions? Everything we want comes from Etsy or Home Depot. Not that we haven't been looking, but so far we have only made one wedding related purchase: Our cake topper. We're earthy people, and have no need for a large cake, so the sweetly simple pair of birds from Middleburg seems a perfect fit. And the best part is that we will display it in our home after the wedding as a lovely piece of folk art.

I'm a rather non-traditional girl, so I love these interesting cakes. I really like the simplicity of the white cake with the spray of branches, and may try to incorporate some branches into our cake (although it will probably only be one large tier or two small tiers). Photo from the-wedding.cn. Could the butterfly cake be any cuter? Pink and orange, oh my! And the lovely white cake with the daisies brings out my girlie side. From Ethereal Cakes.

18 comments:

kadler said...

Eh, I'm not even engaged and I like wedding magazines. Or anything that comes from Martha Stewart. Or anything with cake.

Did I even know you were getting married? Congrats, by the way!

Cassaundra said...

that first cake is amazing!!!!
so cool.

also, do you have your wedding dress yet?!

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

K - You are a girl after my own heart. I only briefly mentioned that I was getting married in a prior post, The Tin Can Tourists in Cedar Key. Cassaundra, I do not have my dress yet. I'm looking for something informal, as we are getting married on a tiny island in Florida in July (meaning HOT!). I'd love to buy a handmade dress on Etsy. In fact, I have my eye on the loveliest white eyelet sundress. Although, I see so many long dresses that I just adore that I may just change my mind.

Blythe Hopes Vintage said...

Please get the butterfly cake! I loves it!

Haute Country Vintage Co. said...

yuuum, cake! lol they're beautiful & the topper you got from Middleburg is HEAVENLY!!

xoxo
Holly

A "cheery" disposition said...

I am in love with the first cake! AMAZING!!!

drollgirl said...

that cake with the branches is INCREDIBLE!! i hope you go for it or for something similiar!

and i KNOW you can have a fab small wedding that is perfect for YOU! i am excited for you. i think small has to be easier, and possibly better, than big!!!

TAL said...

I love the tree stump wedding cake!

It's very original and creative. It also looks like a bunch of marshmallows stacked on top of one another...Yes/No? haha...either way, it's great.

TJ

Awesome Sara said...

i only go to weddings for the cake and the free booze. for like a month my boyfriend and i crashed like all the weddings at this hotel we used to lived near and we ate cake and drank all the time. but their cakes didn't look like these!! i want to eat the head of the bird

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

TJ, I love the woodsy cake with the branches and stump too! It does look a bit like marshmallows, tee-hee.

Sara dear, the birds on the cake topper are made from paper mache. Still want to eat the head, Ozzy?

Drollgirl, I think a tiny wedding will be fun. We have huge extended families and quite a few friends, with a small budget. Our options were either tiny but nice wedding, medium sized wedding that made a bunch of people feel left out for not being invited, or huge wedding with nothing to eat but mints. Honestly, we would love run off to our little island and elope, but our Moms would never forgive us!

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

TJLoop85, thanks for the link - could be very helpful in finding a bakery & florist in Florida!

Awesome Sara said...

paper mache?? oh, how would that taste?

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Sara, it would taste like newspaper and glue. And it would probably make you very sick, especially after all of that mooched booze. Ha!

rachaelgking said...

I heart the "love birds"! That is the cutest thing I have ever seen... at least re: wedding cakes!

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

Congrats on you soon to be wedding. I decorated for weddings for about 4 years and have seen some crazy things. I however love your style. Anyway I love the cake with branches and your cake topper would go so well with it too. And if you wanted to add some of your "girly side" to it you could add some pretty splashes of color with some pink blossoms (like what you'd see in the springtime.)Have fun.

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

I am happy to help. Thank you also for your comment on my blog. I was excited to see a new reader! I wasn't a wedding planner I only decorated for them but I do have some experience with the other details that planning a wedding involves. If you have any other questions I would be happy to help if I can. This is such an exciting time in a woman's life and should be a day that you can always remember. It's your day to feel like the queen you are meant to be! If there is one thing to give advice on that would be to have a good photographer! The money you pay on pictures should not be a thing to skimp on. I know from experience. I wish I had had a better photographer at my wedding.

Pink Sugar Bowl said...

Oh my I LOVE the orange and pink cake. Received your comment, thank you for stopping by! Finally changed my blog background yesterday. I have no idea what I am doing but learning as I go and now I have a background I like. Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. My husband and I are very simple and planned our wedding in a just a couple of months as well. Love the cake topper too! I collect vintage kitchen items. I don't have a lot of room so I keep my collection small but I'll keep checking out your Esty site, great finds on there!

Anonymous said...

in Chicago the Traveler's Cafe in Westmont is famous for doing the Martha Stewart style stump cakes. There are a few of them here http://tinyurl.com/stumpweddingcakes that were photographed by Chicago's top wedding photographer Heather Parker.